I am a PhD student at the University of Vienna where my advisor is Christian Krattenthaler. As such I am a member of the combinatorics group and the Vienna School of Mathematics. Before coming to Vienna I did my undergraduate and MPhil at the University of Queensland where my advisor was Ole Warnaar.
My research interests (at this stage) lie in algebraic combinatorics, q-series, representation theory, special functions, and their interrelations.
Email: seamus.albion at univie.ac.at
Papers and preprints
- S. P. Albion, E. M. Rains and S. O. Warnaar, AFLT-type Selberg integrals (pdf 27/08/2020) more recent than the arXiv version arXiv:2001.05637
- MPhil thesis: Selberg integrals of Alba–Fateev–Litvinov–Tarnopolsky type (pdf 24/09/2020)
- What is a honeycomb?: MathWiSe seminar, October 9th, 2020 (website)
- What is Dyson's contribution to q-series?: MathWiSe seminar, July 9th, 2020 (website)
- Selberg integrals and the AGT conjecture: AustMS 2019 Mathematical Physics session, December 2019 (Monash) (slides)
- AFLT-type Selberg integrals: UQ Pure Mathematics Seminar, November 2019.
- Selberg integrals and symmetric functions: Talk at AEC Sommerschool 2019 (slides).
- U-turn alternating sign matrices: Quantum Field Theory seminar (UQ) (notes)
- The Selberg integral and Macdonald polynomials: AustMS 2018 Representation theory session, Adelaide 2018. I also gave talk for the UQ Pure Mathematics seminar (March 2019). (slides)
- From symmetric functions to hypergeometric integrals: AustMS student conference, December 2018 (UniSA) (slides)
- Kazhdan–Lusztig theory: Quantum Field Theory seminar (UQ) (October 2018)
- Generalised Selberg integrals and Macdonald polynomials: This was my honours presentation. I also gave an abridged version of this talk at the AMSI Winter School. (May/July 2018) (slides)
- The Jones Polynomial and Quantum Groups: A talk outlining the relationship between the Jones polynomial and quantum groups presented in order to gain credit for my AMSI Summer School course. The talk was mostly based on Peter Tingley's "A minus sign" paper.
- The Littlewood–Richardson rule: Quantum Field Theory seminar (UQ) (May 2018)
- Three levels of hypergeometry: UQ Mathematics Students Society talks (May 2018) (slides)
- The Macdonald Positivity Conjecture: Representation Theory Presentation (UQ) (October 2017)
- A Brief History of the Rogers–Ramanujan Identities: UQ Mathematics Students Society talks (March 2017)
- Hypergeometry, Integrability, and Lie Theory (online, website) 7th – 11th December, 2020
- New connections in integrable systems (online, website) September 29th – October 2nd, 2020
- Australian Mathematical Society annual conference (Monash, Melbourne) 3rd-6th December, 2019
- Algorithmic and Enumerative Combinatorics Sommerschool 2019 (Hagenberg, Austria) 29th July-2nd August, 2019
- 15th Symposium on Orthogonal Polynomials, Special Functions, and Applications (Hagenberg, Austria), 22nd-26th July, 2019
- Formal Power Series and Algebraic Combinatorics 2019 (Ljubljana, Slovenia) 1st-5th July, 2019
- In Semester 1 2019 I coorganised a seminar on introductory category theory with Nick Bridger and Rhuaidi Burke at UQ.
- Australian Mathematical Society annual conference (Adelaide) 4th-7th December, 2018
- Australian Mathematical Society student conference (Adelaide) 28th-30th November, 2018
- Rainsfest (UQ): A one-day workshop celebrating Eric Rains' birthday (website).
- Quantum Field Theory Seminar (UQ): Participant and speaker 2017-2018 (website)
- AMSI Winter School 2018 (UQ): The theme was curvature, and included short courses on conformal geometry, heat flow, and more.
- AMSI Summer School 2018 (Monash): Courses in low-dimensional topology and mathematical relativity
- Algebra and representation theory students (ARTS) seminar (UQ): Participant and speaker 2017-2018
- AMSIConnect student conference 2017 (UniMelb)
- President of the UQ Mathematics Students Society 2017
In 2019 I was the student representative for the Australian Mathematical Society (AustMS). This involved observing council proceedings and organising the award of the prestigious Blue Hat Prize for best talk by a non-student at the annual meeting in December.
I have tutored (that is, been a teaching assistant for) the following courses at UQ:
- 2020 Semester 1: MATH3303 (Abstract Algebra & Number Theory)
- Summer 2019/2020: MATH2001 (Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra II)
- 2019 Semester 2: MATH2302 (Discrete Mathematics II) and MATH1072 (Advanced Multivariate Calculus and ODEs)
- 2019 Semester 1: MATH3303 (Abstract Algebra & Number Theory) and MATH2400 (Mathematical Analysis)
- 2018 Semester 2: MATH4304 (Number Theory) and MATH2302 (Discrete Mathematics II)
- 2018 Semester 1: MATH2301 (Linear and Abstract Algebra and Number Theory) and MATH2400 (Mathematical Analysis)
- 2017 Semester 2: MATH2302 (Discrete Mathematics II)
- 2017 Semester 1: MATH2001 (Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra II) and MATH1061 (Discrete Mathematics)
- Summer 2016/2017: MATH2001
- 2016 Semester 2: MATH1052 (Multivariate Calculus and ODEs)
- 2016 Semester 1: MATH1051 (Calculus and Linear Algebra I)
When I'm not doing mathematics I'm usually thinking about music.